I have designed for entertainment, higher education, financial services, nonprofits, healthcare, automotive, and most recently, clinical assessment, for a total Design career history spanning 16 years (including nine years in manager-level positions, six of which were supervisory for teams as large as 17 direct reports).
Director, User Experience & Design(Supervisory Manager)
Pearson Clinical Assessment Digital Product Development, San Antonio, Texas
March, 2014 – present.
Multiple promotions / UX Interaction Design for the Q-global, Q-interactive, TA, and “Project One” platforms / Qualtrics Silver Certified / Data Science Certification / Customer Research & Journey Mapping / Design Studio facilitation / Scoping
- Creating journey maps, wireframes, mockups, and prototypes using Axure RP, Keynote, Photoshop/Illustrator, and Responsive Frameworks (Twitter Bootstrap).
- Facilitating Design Studios, conducting customer research, reviewing usability and other UX best practices for instruments created by fellow UXers, CADs, and DCDs.
- Scoping for upcoming Qi & Qg projects and program work.
- Formulating UX strategy recommendations, including guidance for additional concept and usability research capabilities, process improvements, analytics/data science capabilities, and experiential approaches to product and platform offerings.
- Ongoing administrative tasks such as timesheet approval, time-off requests, capacity planning, process improvement, etc.
Senior User Experience Architect
I've delivered many talks at conferences and in webinars over the years. This is the marquee that was posted outside my talk on responsive design in healthcare at HIMSS 2014. HIMSS is the largest healthcare technology conference in the country (Hillary Clinton delivered the keynote the year I spoke). My break-out session was one of the highest rated for the year.
Team Detroit, Inc., Dearborn, Michigan
July 2013 – March 2014.
Senior level contributor to Tier I Ford global initiatives, including the first-ever global nameplate launch (2014 Ford Mustang) and the reintroduction of the Lincoln brand.
Design & User Experience Lead(Supervisory Manager)
- Facilitated Design Studios for conceptualization, sketching, and wireframing, and analyzed usability testing, site analytics, and market research results for site launches primarily for Ford and Lincoln.
- Contributed to process analysis, including the ongoing development of effective responsive-adaptive design workflows.
CareTech Solutions, Inc., Troy, Michigan
September 2010 – July 2013.
Lead User Researcher/Usability Testing/Visual Design & Creative Direction/Front-end Coding and Process Standardization/Project Quoting & Assessment/Process Improvement.
Director of Multimedia Development(Supervisory Manager)
- Managed design staff and process while introducing user-centered methodologies and front-end best practices to all client projects.
- Lead designer on dozens of client web and web application projects
- Conducted on-site and online user research and requirements gathering for dozens of health care and higher education website clients across the US.
- Conducted heuristic reviews and usability analysis for websites and web applications
- Provided UX leadership (usability, user story flow, visual design, concept) on the creation of CareWorks Advantage, a SaaS-model content management system, and Boardnet 4, an online governance portal.
YMCA of Metropolitan Detroit, Detroit, Michigan
October 2007 – September 2010.
Senior Media Producer/Project Manager - Senior Web Designer/Information Architect - Print/Marketing Designer - Instructional Designer/Tech Training Facilitator - Computer Lab Manager.
- With incredibly limited resources, I delivered a new online strategy to promote the works of the arts and humanities branch of the YMCA of Metro Detroit (via y-artsdetroit.org, Twitter, Facebook, etc.). While consulting on the greater metropolitan association's Web site, ymcadetroit.org, site visits and online program registrations increased by 40% and 23% respectively within the first month of launch of new design. Developed and managed mcapliveyourdream.org, a growing youth social network. Web master for TheDetroiter.com, a popular arts and lifestyle site purchased by the YMCA and relaunched in January of 2009 with an updated graphic theme, user-centric navigation. My efforts attracted the attention of both Y USA and YMCA Europe, and I was specially invited to deliver a presentation on online strategies to the Roots for Reconciliation 2009 ProFest with 13 countries represented.
- Led the entire production process for dozens of internal and external client and student multimedia projects, including Web sites, promotional videos, digital photography, and media education/consulting endeavors. Successfully led artist/educator teams comprised of as many as 18 production professionals.
- Creation, administration, and delivery of Adobe Creative Suite 3, Final Cut Studio 2, Web and print design, digital photography, Flash/ActionScript 3, and the International Computer Drivers License (ICDL) training for the community, students, and local small and large businesses. My work with immigrants directly contributed to the YMCA of Metropolitan Detroit being named a Global Center of Excellence from YUSA.
eLearning Instructional Designer(Non-Supervisory Manager)
I'm especially proud of my involvement in the creation of YArts Detroit, a branch of the YMCA of Metropolitan Detroit. Here I am presenting at a special Pecha Kucha Night in 2010 about the digital media program I helped create with a team of nearly twenty multidisciplinary artists. The program continues today!
Michigan Credit Union League/CU Village, Plymouth, Michigan
July, 2005 – October, 2007.
eLearning Instructional Designer/Manager of Online Learning - Information Architecture Quality Assurance Team Lead - Multimedia Project Manager.
- Identified deficiencies in the legacy online learning systems and proposed a massive conceptual overhaul. The Online Learning Center, a simple course management system became CU Campus, a scalable content delivery system with integrated course management, content management, and social networking/community of practice components (based on CMS+Moodle+Elgg). Site visits and course sales increased by over 300% and 60% respectively, with current registration at over 4,000 active credit union professionals. Interface/interaction design of SCORM compliant online learning modules, information architecture of course management system, and instructional design of learning content. Awarded Innovator of the Year 2007 from the Michigan Credit Union League for these efforts.
- Conducted a number of informational (and occasionally entertaining) product presentations and traditional technical training facilitation at state trade conventions, conferences, and retreats.
- For both internal presences and national credit union client projects, I successfully guided Web development design team through more effective information architecture and usability processes, including conducting cardsorting, taxonomy validation, wireframing, storyboarding, and comping/prototyping.
- Proposed a new product initiative to create a podcast delivery system for credit unions, added interactive Flash videos, promotional videos, and Flash animation to the menu.
Oakland Community College Professional Development and Training Center, Pontiac, Michigan
January, 2003 – July, 2005.
Web designer - Training and Support Team Lead - Technical Training Documentation/Facilitator
Production Manager (Temporary Assignment)(Non-Supervisory Manager)
- Managed architecture, graphic themes, and content updates for internal training and development site.
- Top to bottom creation of online tutorials for the newly implemented Datatel Colleague system, an enterprise resource planning solution that included Web-based student registration and grading through its WebAdvisor portal.
- Created, archived, maintained, and delivered technical training materials (printed manuals and PDF archives) on topics including Microsoft Office applications, Datatel Colleague, effective electronic communication, etc.
KBZK 7/26 CBS Bozeman, Bozeman, Montana
August, 2001 – December, 2001.
Video Producer – Motion Graphic/Title Designer
Production Manager(Non-Supervisory Manager)
- Scheduled, wrote, shot, edited, and archived local television commercials, public service announcements, and industrial shorts.
- Created graphics and templates for motion graphics commercials using Discreet Edit and Adobe Photoshop (PC Platform).
Big Sky High Recording Studio, Bozeman, Montana
January, 2000 – December, 2001.
Multimedia Production Manager – Office Manager – Recording Production Assistant
- Documented and recorded live music events, recording sessions, and special guest visits using Canon XL1 video camera, Canon Rebel 35mm SLR, and edited using Adobe Premiere, Final Cut, and Photoshop on Mac and PC. Created interactive promotional CDs for the studio and bands using Macromedia Director, Cool Edit Pro Studio, Adobe Premier, and Adobe Photoshop.
- Scheduled guests and guest accommodations, prepared invoicing, purchased and managed studio equipment and technology installation.
- Assisted visiting artists, provide messenger or delivery service, or assist engineers in recording sessions.
Education and Professional Training:
BA, Media and Theatre Arts – Motion Picture/ Video Option
2001, Montana State University, Bozeman, Montana
Cumulative GPA of 3.71/4.0 (Highest Honors).
Induction into Phi Kappa Phi and Golden Key Honor Societies.
AS, General Business
1999, Sheridan College, Sheridan, Wyoming
Induction into Phi Theta Kappa National Honor Society.
Scholarship member of national championship Speech and Debate Team, voted Speaker of the Year by coaches and teammates.
1994-96, University of Wyoming
Acting Concentration, Department of Theatre and Dance
Presidential Honors Scholarship Recipient.
Honors Curriculum student.
Past Professional Affiliations:
- Information Architecture Institute
- ACM SIGGRAPH
- The Interaction Design Association